Monday, May 9, 2011

Evbako

I created Evbako in 2009 its about 3ft, a bust sculpture of a woman, my portrait of Nigeria, with eyes and mouths on her neck and shoulder creating a sort of discomfort. People outside Nigeria say so many things about life here and a lot exaggerated, creating this uneasy feeling about being Nigerian. Yes we do have our problems and so does every other country, and as a young Nigerian its takes hope and faith to get by. I'm amazed at the speed I used to create this work and I'm searching for it again,it took me just 3 weeks laying layers of paper over layers.  i put it in for an competition organized by the African artist foundation titled "Nigeria at 50". It didn't win but made the 30 finalists, an exhibition and I got a great response of which I still do even though its no longer in my possession ( with regrets).  I'm working on a second one at the moment, its really taking a lot of time, I think I'm stuck in the form some where but I'll pull through and I doubt its ever going to leave my studio cos I love it already.
What I love most about the work is her hair, that was the best part in creating it. People don't do weaves much these days, even though its hidden underneath the weave on and Brazilian hair ( that thing is so expensive, i cant believe women pay so much for hair). I'm blessed with beautiful hair and daily I'm reminded by people on the bus, in the streets, shops, some in a nice way and some who give you a head massage straight away without asking if I'm interested. Taking up a project with hair seems a very interesting path to take and may lead to different directions. Just started my Afro series, pictures will be up as soon as i get my camera working again.

And if anyone's asking the meaning of that name, the sculpture title, it actually doesnt make sense from what my mother says. My mom is a typical and thick benin woman, and I remember calling her up just before I sent my entry for the competion cos I love culture and I had decided to name any sculpture I make with a benin name I guess to make up for my not being able to speak my language fluently (sad). Months later after the work was made and even sold, we got talking can't remember what about but then the name came up, and she looked at me strangely as though I spoke gibberish. Then i realised that the 40 mins I spent on the phone that afternoon I called to get a name that fitted my sculpture was a total waste of time. But there's a lesson here, my children must and must speak a local dialect very very fluently.

1 comment: